Home Alone 2020
The “stay at home” orders many of us are under is in many cases amplifying the stress in people’s lives. The sudden change of daily routine, being told to give up important activities, the unknown duration of the “new normal”, and the panic production machine that is our news, can all magnify our fears. Fear causes many detrimental changes in our minds and bodies and becomes self-fulfilling. Thankfully there are many things you can do to release fear and focus on positive, life-affirming activities.
Here is a few ideas to reduce the negative impact of the current situation on our health;
- Unplug from the media. While the media doesn’t tell us what to think, it tells us what to think about. The current Covid-19 coverage has been many times more extensive and uses more frightening images and language than other outbreaks. Watch less coverage and instead read, play games or do a project around the house.
- Remain optimistic. Your immune system is your greatest asset to keep you healthy in the midst of a pandemic. Research shows how negative thoughts lead to poor health and a decreased immune response. Remove negative thought patterns and you will have a better chance of staying healthy. Laugh. Make lists of things you are grateful for. Connect with the positive people in your life!
- Watch what you put in your mouth. Being home more is a great opportunity to eat healthier. Focus on whole foods that support your immune system and take the time and love to prepare them yourself. Stay away from immune busters like sugar and processed foods. Eat mindfully and savor every bite- and visualize your immune system getting stronger.
- Move- even moderate exercise is recognized to boost your immune system. Try to move throughout the day in a variety of ways. Get outside and benefit from the fresh air and sunshine. Take this time at home to develop a regular exercise practice that you love to do!!
- Stay connected and serve others. Reach out to friends and loved ones. Let them know you are there to help in any way you can- by running errands if you can or simply supporting them virtually. We are in this together and must support each other!
There are lots of signs that this pandemic will change our world- and I chose to believe that we will look back on this and marvel at how many good things came out of it. For the world as a whole to benefit from this opportunity each individual must do his or her part. Like everything it starts at home!
- Posted in: TGIM